Programs for Downtrodden Women
We have collaborated with quite a few non-profit organizations that provide protection, treatment, care and rehabilitation to marginalised women, living in adverse environments. Every year, a large percentage of Indian women suffer miseries and discrimination in their own communities which often go unnoticed. In order to scale down gender-based violence stemming out of trafficking, prostitution and domestic abuse some of our partner organizations have anti-trafficking and crisis-intervention programs in place. These organizations work hand-in-hand with the state government reaching out to victims of domestic violence and providing them with shelter and necessary counselling services unless they are rehabilitated. For women who can’t go back to their families receive job-oriented vocational training and some basic education until they are independent and can turn their lives around.
As a volunteer, working in one of these organizations, you will be required to:
- Help with administrative activities for day-to-day functioning of these organizations
- Work with coordinators to extend counselling services to victims of violence and their families
- Educate the inmates of shelters on sexual health and protection and basic hygienic practices
- Help teachers in creating lesson-plans and impart English lessons
- Participate in supportive therapy, art therapy, play therapy (relevant to little girls) and at times, in behavioral therapy (relevant to volunteers with backgrounds in psychology and counselling)
- Create and analyze case-studies on present beneficiaries
Programs for Destitute Children, Including Child-laborers
In India millions of children lose their freedom as they slog with or without wages in organized or informal sectors, within or outside their families. Poor and desperate parents are not always responsible for grooming their kids into child laborers. A large section of these children have been orphaned during birth, some are abandoned by alcoholic fathers, some are run-away children, while some are trafficked. To escape the oppression back at home many jump on trains to make it big in cities, many get lost in crowded places, while, many genuinely lose their parents to death due to diseases, natural calamities or such unfortunate incidents. Homeless and friendless most of these children live on railway platforms and streets, inside tatty make-shift shacks and under bridges. They live a risky life begging or getting into risky ventures for a living. Alone and without adult supervision they are always targeted by predators seeking cheap factory labour or brothel owners.
Most street-children resort to gambling and glue-sniffing in order to escape the brutal realities of their existence. Our partner organizations rehabilitate and institutionalize children who live rough on streets, providing curative treatment, counselling services, formal education and vocational training so that they can escape their deplorable present and embrace a brighter and healthier future. These children are most susceptible to petty crimes, drugs, alcohol and even sexual slavery. To prevent them from going wayward as a volunteer you might be required to engage them in constructive and interesting activities such as classes on life skills, equipping them with necessary resources to fend off dangers, art and craft education, adolescence education, sexual health, awareness of rights and character development. You can also participate in programs that focus on the healthcare and nutrition of children from disadvantaged backgrounds or capacity building within the organization.
In addition to the duties, outlined above, you may be required to:
- Work with coordinators extending counselling services and palliative care to children, suffering from life-threatening and terminal diseases including cancer, STD and HIV/AIDS
- Empower children, who have been victims of rape, molestation or any form of abuse through recreational activities (dance, drama, puppetry, theatre and story-telling workshops) and supportive and play therapies.
- Students with backgrounds in social work, counselling and psychology can also resort to group counselling methods
- Instil moral values and self-confidence in children